This dish is so simple to make, yet has a surprising complexity of flavor—the sweetness of the rutabaga, the savoriness of the cheese, and just the right amount of salt. It’s a perfect side for a roast (I ate it with braised pork belly—oh man) or you might find yourself spooning it straight out of the bowl . . .
Note: Because rutabaga and celeriac vary wildly in size, it’s easier to measure by the cup. For reference, I used 1 large rutabaga to get 3 1/2 cups, and 1 medium and 3 small celeriac to get the same amount.
3 1/2 cups rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups celeriac, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
2 T butter
1 tsp salt
3 T parmesan cheese
1. Steam rutabaga and celeriac in same basket for 20 minutes or until soft.
2. In large bowl, combine steamed vegetables, milk, cream, salt, and butter.
3. Purée in bowl with immersion blender or transfer and blend in standing blender.
4. If the mixture seems too thick, add milk or water until desired consistency.
5. Stir in parmesan cheese, salt to taste, and serve warm. Serves 4-6.